• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Namal
    • Apr 2012

Coding Biot theory in FEBio

Hi,

Since Biot theory coding is not available in FEBio, I am planning to code it. I am just checking whether there are any recent plans to include Biot theory in to FEBio. If there are any plans please let me know. Also please let me know of any pointers to code this theory in to FEBio, since i do not have any clue of doing it right now . Thanks!

Cheers
    Namal
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi Namal,

Which formulation of Biot's theory are you planning to code? If you could provide specific papers by Biot or others which outline the formulation you would like to implement, this would be helpful as a starting point. Please keep in mind that currently FEBio uses only a finite deformation framework. Therefore you need to identify formulations of Biot's theory that address large deformations. I assume that you are planning to include compressibility of the solid and fluid? (Otherwise, as per my earlier responses to you elsewhere on the forum, there is no difference between Biot's theory and the biphasic theory when inertia forces are neglected.) If you do, you will need to address how to distinguish between the compressibility of the pores and that of the skeleton material. This is straightforward in infinitesimal strain theory (additive decomposition), but requires more careful consideration in finite deformation (similar to plasticity theory).

Best,

Gerard

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞