• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlin1985
    • Oct 2011

How to set for frition sliding contact?

Hello,

As I know, only the friction factor between materials is required in physical calculation. But in the FEBio, we need to set both the friction coefficient and the friction penalty factor. Without the latter, no matter how different the value of the friction coefficient, there is no difference between the frictionless and firction computation if employing the same model, while setting the friction penalty factor, a obvious bulking along the model could be found. So I want to know, how can I set these two perameters if only knowing the friction factor?

Thanks a lot.

Lin
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Lin,

The friction penalty factor is not a physical parameter, but a parameter required for the algorithm that calculates the friction forces. In essence, the initial guess for the frictional forces is proportional to the penalty factor. This parameter is very dependent on the problem (material parameters, mesh density and size, etc.) so you may have to play a bit with different values to find one that works for you. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• wlin1985
      • Oct 2011

Hello, Steve.

Thanks again for your help. I would try and find the reasonal penalty factor.

Regards,

Lin

Originally posted by maas View Post
      Hi Lin,

The friction penalty factor is not a physical parameter, but a parameter required for the algorithm that calculates the friction forces. In essence, the initial guess for the frictional forces is proportional to the penalty factor. This parameter is very dependent on the problem (material parameters, mesh density and size, etc.) so you may have to play a bit with different values to find one that works for you. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞