• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mehrdadaut
    • Aug 2011

Import IGES File From Solidworks 2011 or ANSYS

Hi
    I wanna import a geometry file in the preview in the format of IGES, but it seems preview don't support IGES format files. Please add this format to import section. Thanks for your attention.
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

If you can send me an example of an input file, I can look into adding support for IGES. Keep in mind though that the file must contain a finite element mesh, not a description of geometry. Also, can you please make a feature request for this so it stays on my radar.

Thanks,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• mehrdadaut
      • Aug 2011

Hi
      IGES Files cannot contain mesh properties and it contain only geometric features of the model. In import section in PreView, the ansys file was supported but do not support .db files ansys format. if you can please add .db file support in PreView import section. .db files can contain element properties and mesh properties of the model. I send to you an example from .db file as soon as possible. Thanks for your attention.

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Is the .db a text-file format? Keep in mind that we can only support text based file formats. Binary formats are often very complicated and would require too much of our time to support properly.

Thanks,

Steve.

Comment

• mehrdadaut
          • Aug 2011

Unfortunately the .db files format aren't text-file format. but in import section of PreView support ansys text macros but i wanna know which elements and meshes preview supports?

Comment

• maas
            Lead Code Developer
            • Nov 2007

For the Ansys format, PreView supports linear hex, wedge and tet solid elements and linear quad and triangular shell elements.

Steve.

Comment

• mehrdadaut
              • Aug 2011

Thanks for your attention sir, i have 2 question, which version of ansys supported by PreView? I study Materials Science and Engineering in Amirkabir University of Technology and my thesis is the simulating the stress distribution in the head femur fracture implant in femur bone. I'm interested in FEBio and PreView. For this simulating process i need the mechanical properties of femur bone like Elasticity module and Poisson ratio. How can i find this mechanical properties?

Comment

• maas
                Lead Code Developer
                • Nov 2007

PreView doesn't really care about the Ansys version. It only looks for the NBLOCK and EBLOCK sections in the file.

As far as the material properties go, I would recommend doing a literature search to find out what other people have used. Or perhaps someone else on the forum may have some suggestions.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

• mehrdadaut
                  • Aug 2011

Thanks for your attention sir. One another question i have is about the programming language that you developed FEBio and PreView Programs. What programming language is sweet for finite element calculations? what the programming language is used for developing FEBio and PreView?

Comment

• dsrawlins
                    Developer
                    • Dec 2008

We use C++. The gui for PreView and PostView is built using fltk.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍