Creating model from Gmsh frought with difficulties...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seth@mech.ubc.ca
    • Jun 2008

Creating model from Gmsh frought with difficulties...

Hello,
    I'm having a hard time getting this model to work. The part is a ratchet and the analysis is fairly simple: model a rigid pin engaging in the ratchet and check for failure.

I created the geometry in UG NX and exported as a stp file for meshing in Gmsh. The Gmsh mesh was then imported to PreView. I created a pin and tried to move the pin into the ratchet.

I encountered multiple problems:
    1) Importing Gmsh:
    i) The default extension is wrong, should be .msh, not .gmsh
    ii) I get an error with the mesh version, resolved by deleting the mesh version specification at the top of the file.
    2) Creating the FEBio file: The version that I have uploaded gives the error
    Couldn't save project to FEBio file:
    Invalid reference to mesh item list.
    3) When I did get a successful exportation on another mesh (reason this one works is unknown), executing the file gives the error from FEBio (file attached too):
    FATAL ERROR: Missing attribute "id" of tag "contact" (line 29526)

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
    seth
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Seth,

1) The default extension is changed to .msh and I can relax the version requirement. I will be uploading a new versio of PreView soon.

2) The invalid reference seems to be caused by the PinMotion boundary condition. I'm not sure why that reference is invalid but I would try to remove that BC and redefine it.

3) The errors are caused by empty <fix></fix> tags. Removing the tags will allow the file to run, but since you're missing a BC now, that's probably not what you want. I expect that the empty tags are related to the problem with the PinMotion BC.

Let me know if redefining that PinMotion BC fixes the problem.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢