• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michalacadova
    • Jan 2010

Strain dependent permeability

Hi,
    I would like to use the strain-dependent permeability in the poroelastic model, but I am afraid that I don’t have all the parameters that have to be defined (in the Poroelastic Holmes-Mow). In our lab we have used the equation k=k_0*e^(-M*epsilon), where k_0 is the permeability in the reference state, M is the exponential strain-dependent coefficient and epsilon is the strain. We have experimentally determined the value for k_0 and M. But as you can see, I have no information about the solid volume fraction or the power–law exponent.

Isn’t there any other way how to use the easier equation (the one we have used) for the strain-dependent permeability than are the models implemented in the Febio so far (Poroelastic Holmes-Mow, Poroelastic Isotropic Spectral Permeability, Poroelastic Transversely Isotropic Spectral Permeability, Poroelastic Orthotropic Spectral Permeability)?

Thanks
    Michala
  • RandyHeydon
    • Mar 2010

Take a look in the FEBio user manual (should be included in the download of FEBio). It specifies the exact equation used by FEBio for the Poroelastic Holmes-Mow. You may notice that, with exponent alpha set to zero (and volume fraction phi0 set to anything other than 1), the equation will reduce to k = k_0*e^(M/2 * [J^2 - 1]). It's not exactly the equation you want, but it's close. Also, the user manual is a great thing that everyone should read.

Comment

• michalacadova
      • Jan 2010

Hi
      Thank you for your reply. I actually went through the manual, but since I didn’t see the equation in a format that is familiar to me, I just was not sure how to connect data that I have with those that are needed in the software.

Michala

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡