X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thibaut
    • Feb 2009

Difference in colormap between ABAQUS and FEBio

I tried to compare the results of a very simple simulation with ABAQUS and FEBio.
    A cube is fully constrained in the bottom and a vertical displacement of 1 is applied on the top. The cube is meshed with 10*10*10 cubic linear elements. The solution is linear and material properties: E=5000, v=0.3.

I display the Mises stresses on both software and the colormap result is completely different. I also tried the simulation in COMSOL and I found out that the only way to get COMSOL to display a result similar to FEBIO was to switch on an "Accurate derivative recovery" option that is supposed to improve the accuracy of the colormap. The algorithm is apparently based on the superconvergent patch recovery by Zienkiewicz and Zhu.

Is there such an algorithm in postview ? Have you noticed differences in colormap with other softwares such as ABAQUS ?

Cheers

Thibaut
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Thibaut,

Have you checked some other stresses (x, y, z, and shear stresses) to see if they match? Or is it only the Von Mises stress? I don't have a copy of ABAQUS so I cannot reproduce your findings. If this is of any help, this is formula that is implemented in PostView for the VM stress:

SQRT( sxx^2 + syy^2 + szz^2 - sxx*syy - syy*szz - sxx*szz + 3*(sxy*sxy + syz*syz+ sxz*sxz))

I have not implemented a special algorithm to improve the accuracy of the colormaps. Nodal data is just evaluated as is, and element data is projected to the nodes for rendering purposes. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢