• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CAUOC
    • Jan 2010

Plant tissue

Hi,

I am interested in modelling plant tissue. I was wondering if FEBio is capable of doing that. If somebody has any experience in modelling plant tissue / plant cell walls I would be grateful for any tips and hints towards literature.

Clemens
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Clemens,

I'm not certain anyone has ever used FEBio for plant modelling. However, if you can tell me a little bit more about what you would like to do, I might be able to tell you if FEBio would be the right choice for you.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• CAUOC
      • Jan 2010

Hi Steve,

thanks for looking into this.

I want to model the development of growth stresses in cells with a scondary cell wall.

Plant cell walls can be seen as composite materials, where a (plastic) isotropic matrix is reinforced by stiff (oriented) cellulose fibrils

During cell growth a plant cell has only a primary wall, which enlages by matrix creep. The shape is determined by the orienetation of the stiff cellulose fibrils.

However, some cells form a much thicker secondary cell wall after they have reached their final size/shape. (to provide mechanical support)

The secondary cell wall ittself is composed of ~3 layers with defined cellulose fibril orientation. Cellulose fibril orientation in the secondary cell wall determines stiffness.

Furthermore secondary cell walls an excert an axial expansive or contractive force (growth stress). The most common explanation for the development of those growth stresses is a swelling of the matrix between the stiff cellulose fibrils and the direction of the force might be attributed to the direction of the cellulsoe fibrils in the cell wall.

I would like to build a FE model of a cell of several layers with different cellulose (fiber) orientation (i was thinking of a tube like structure). To create growth stresses I would need to swell the matrix. I might also add an internal turgor pressure.

I hope I am not confusing you with this explanation

Clemens

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi Clemens,

I think this would be a very interesting problem. My only immediate concern would be that FEBio can't do plasticity yet. Although we do have plans to implement it in the near future, we have not found the time to do so.

On the other hand, know that if you want to, you can add your own constitutive models in FEBio. We would be more than happy to provide you with the source code. Although implementing plasticity would be a bit of a challenge, I think some of the other things you are talking about should be relatively straightforward to add to FEBio (that is if I understood what you are trying to do). Let me know how you would like to continue.

Cheers,

Steve.
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢