• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kostadus
    • Mar 2015

Mesh state extraction

Dear Febio team,
    I use Febio for dynamic analysis of the prostate simulating swelling effects. I would like to know how would be possible to extract the deformed mesh in each step of the analysis. Assuming that we have a 10-step analysis where the initial mesh "streches" due to swelling I would like to be able to acquire this 10 different phases of the mesh to use them as initial meshes in different analyses. How something like that is possible? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Konstantinos
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Konstantinos,

You could export the nodal coordinates to a data file using the logging capability. To export the nodal coordinates, add this line to the logfile section (in the Output section).

Code:
    <logfile>
    <node_data data="x;y;z" format='%t%t%t<node id="%i">%g,%g,%g</node>'/>
    </logfile>
    The data attribute defines what data you want to store. In this case, x,y,z, means the spatial nodal coordinates.
    The format attribute tells the format you want to store the data in. This particular format description will output the nodal coordinates in the same format as the FEBio file so you could copy/paste the coordinates directly into the FEBio input file. (%t = tab, %i = node index, %g = data value).
    If you prefer you can also write this data to a separate file by adding the file attribute. See section 3.16.1 of the online User's Manual.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• kostadus
      • Mar 2015

Great news Steve and thank you for your fast reply. I would like one extra specification however. This method you described maintains also domain information? By domain I mean in the case of a multimaterial mesh information for the different regions.
      Thank you very much for your support.

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

This only writes out the nodal coordinates, so there is no domain information associated with it. But it outputs the same node indices as the original model, so if you copy/paste the nodal coordinates back into the original model, it does not affect the domain specifications.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• kostadus
          • Mar 2015

Dear Steve,
          I hope this finds you well. I am coming back to this post because what you suggest me to do didn't work for me using FeBio2.3, instead I used the command : <node_data name="nodes coordinates" data="x;y;z" format="%g,%g,%g"/>

And I am printing the information I want fine, however in the febio documentation you write that the output will be extracted in multiple files but in my case all the steps are written in one and for big geometries is kind of easy to make mistakes when spliting the file in multiple, i want ask you if there is a way to enable the multiple files extraction or if it is a bug.

Best regards,
          Konstantinos.

Comment

• maas
            Lead Code Developer
            • Nov 2007

Hi Konstantinos,

Thanks for pointing this out. FEBio indeed writes everything to a single file. Despite what the documentation said, I'm not sure if there was a time that FEBio wrote to multiple files, but I'd be happy to look into this. Would you mind making a feature request for this on the "FEBio Project\Feature request" forum. That way, it stays on my todo list

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• kostadus
              • Mar 2015

Hello Steve,
              yes sure no problem. I will post it to keep it in mind. Thanks for your reply and your efforts.
              In the meanwhile wait for a new post of mine for a different type of question.

Kind regards,
              Konstantinos.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞