• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nima
    • May 2009

Shell formulation

Hello,

Could you please let me know which shell formulation was implemented in FEBio? I cannot find any information or reference in manuals.

Furthermore I need to calculate strain energy of my shell structure. Is there a way in FEBio or PostView for that?

Many thanks in advance

Nima Maftoon
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Nima,

The shell formulation implemented in FEBio is described in the Theory Manual, which should be included in the installation. One note about this formulation is that it is still a work in progress. The current formulation produces rather stiff shells, which means that you might need a lot of them to obtain accurate results.

In order to visualize strains in PostView you have to tell FEBio to export the shell strains. To do this, add this section line to your input file:

<Output>
    <plotfile>
    <shell_strain>1</shell_strain>
    </plotfile>
    <Output>

It is best to place this as the last section in your input file (e.g. after the LoadData section, but before the end tag of febio_spec). If you have a recent version of PreView, you might be able to set this flag from the Project Options in PreView automatically.

FYI, I am also planning to add a feature to PostView that allows you to see the (approximate) strains even if the shell strains are not exported by FEBio.

Let me know if you have any further questions or remarks.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• deluccaj
      • May 2013

Hi,

I am able to get the shell strains to appear in Postview but I am interested in exporting the shell strains to a text file. Do you know which element variable I should be using to export them?

Thanks!
      John

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi John,

You should be able to use the usual strain variables (Ex, Ey, Ez, Exy, Eyz, Exz).

Cheers,

Steve
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢